Friday, January 28, 2011

Irv Update - January 2011 #10

Dear F&F;

Today I took Stella and Izzy to see Irv in the hospital! St. Charles allows approved pets to go into the rooms of patients. Stella and Izzy passed inspection so they got to see Irv today. It was very cute as Irv hadn't seen them for over a week. The dogs kept sniffing all the new stuff attached to their "daddy" until they finally just laid down on the floor. Several people passing by had to come in and pet the dogs and exclaim about how well behaved they were.

Irv had eaten a custard and a banana milkshake was delivered while I was there. Over the course of the day other "fluid" items he ordered came every few hours and he managed to eat them all - slowly- and not feel nauseated or over-full. His TPN nutrition will be gradually decreased in volume throughout the day and night until by tomorrow morning they will stop it completely. As long as he keeps eating, that is. Also, his pain medicine and antibiotic will change to pill form tomorrow. When I see him next he may be IV free! They will keep in the PICC line until discharge, just to make blood draws easier, as well as an easy access port if needed before then.

Irv even had a real shower today. It was a little challenging as the IV pole with its 3 pumps were still attached to him, but it had to stay outside of the shower curtain. No matter. It allowed him to really feel clean for the first time in over a week.

The dogs get to see Irv with me tomorrow and hopefully I'll be bringing him home on Saturday! I'm finally relaxed enough to really enjoy this progress. At least I'm no longer worried my husband is going to die on me. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for all the loving support. It has really been necessary to keep me going, believe me. Thanks!

Penny

No comments: