Friday, January 7, 2011

Irv Update - January 2011 #2

Finally, we have a diagnosis. After much foolishness by the medical profession (or rat bastards, I would rather say), the endoscopic exam today showed a small bowel obstruction. Not "blockage" but "significant obstruction." Dr. Koteen had the gall to say it wasn't seen on the CT scan of Dec. 27, done when Irv was in the ER. Hah! I say. Irv's symptoms have not changed since before that time,only worsened, so it was there, some idiot radiologist (rat bastard) just didn't see it. I want it known that I did suggest that Irv had a small bowel obstruction to the ER doctor - who totally ignored me, of course, because he is a rat bastard.

It is right after the pyloric opening of the stomach at the beginning of the small intestine. It is 3-4 cm in length.

It will require surgical correction, but we are awaiting the numerous biopsies taken by the doctor (rb). If they show cancer, then that will determine how extensive of a surgery Irv will have. If it isn't cancerous, a less invasive option will be done.

I would have preferred that it be done this afternoon! Meanwhile, Irv is on a liquid only diet. Dr. Koteen (rb) did try to expand the obstruction opening (he was able to get the endoscope thru the obstruction - barely) by using a balloon, but it did revert to almost the same small opening size as before. About a quart or more of fluid was extracted from Irv's stomach. (Just yesterday, Dr. Koteen (rb) said Irv didn't have a build-up of fluid - HAH!)

There was a lot of "sludge" left that was too thick to aspirate and it is hoped that it will make its way thru the slightly larger opening in the obstruction.

Irv felt so much better having that very large amount of fluid removed from his tummy!!!

Since it is Friday, I can only hope that some how, some way, the pathologist(s) (rb's all of them who only work M-F) will read the biopsies soon. Dr. Koteen was hopeful that he would have information by tomorrow - Saturday. I have my doubts and can only hope that Irv will be able to feel okay until we know something. It amazes me that so much of medicine is DO IT NOW! or I want it yesterday, yet this can wait until Monday. WTF!!

I will keep you informed as I hope to have a resolution to the questions very soon!!

Penny

No comments: