Saturday, September 10, 2011

Irv Update - September 2011 #1

Dear All; On Aug 29 Irv had bloodwork done before his appt. in Seattle at Virginia Mason Medical Center. It was "normal" for him except for a really elevated glucose. By the time we got here to Seattle on September 6 he was getting very sick. On September 7 we saw the doctor and found that Irv's liver was failing due to damage from his completely blocked bile ducts. We weren't really surprised as he was becoming very jaundiced (glow in the dark yellow!) AGAIN, the definitive reason is NOT KNOWN! An ERCP was done yesterday without any success as the area was completely blocked by the bowel obstruction from January and swelling from the blockages. He was immediately admitted to the hospital. Today an MRI was done and we have finally been told (at 4:30 pm) that at 6 pm an interventional radiologist with place a temporary drainage tube by puncturing the abdomen with a big needle(?) and threading a drain thru the liver and into the blocked ducts in order to allow them to drain. If this isn't done serious and permanent damage will be done to the liver. Acute won't be applicable anymore. Yes, we are very worried. I got Irv's mother's computer so I can communicate this way and not have to call everyone. I don't remember my Facebook password so I'll have to just do email for now. (My home computer stores my passwords so I don't usually have to type them in. Lazy,I know.) When we have any additional info I'll pass it along. We are so relieved to be here at VM and not in Bend. We really wish a diagnosis could be found. It has been mentioned that the drugs (Irv is on several) may be contributing to this problem. Later, Penny

No comments: